People's United Business F A Qs
As People's United Bank joins the M&T Bank family, we're here to help answer your frequently asked questions for businesses, including Micro Businesses, Commercial Businesses and Government entities.
Do I need to do anything right now?
Not at all.
- Bank as you normally would at the same branches and/or work with your relationship manager
- Continue using your business, merchant and operating accounts
- If you use online banking or eTreasury+, your login remains the same and access is still through peoples.com
- Continue to make your loan payments as usual
- Call the same contact numbers
Who should I go to for my banking and servicing needs?
Continuity and consistency in your relationships is important to you, and it’s important to us as well. Please keep banking as you normally would.
For your business accounts, continue to contact your relationship manager, stop by a local branch or use the existing People's United customer service and support contacts until your accounts transition to M&T, which is anticipated in early 2022.
What to Expect
What can I expect moving forward into 2022?
We expect to finish combining our banking systems in early 2022. At that time, accounts and services you had at People’s United Bank, N.A. or opened with M&T Bank through its People’s United division will become similar accounts and services at M&T. At that time, you’ll have access to:
- A wider range of financial products and services to help you meet your personal and business needs and wealth management goals
- ATMs at any of our more than 2,000 convenient locations
- More than 1,100 branches throughout New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Virginia and West Virginia
Will the name of the bank change?
- On or about October 2, 2021, People’s United Bank, N.A. merged into M&T Bank and became part of M&T Bank
- Until M&T completes system integration in early 2022, you may continue to see the People’s United Bank, N.A. or People’s United Bank name or logo, as well as the People’s United, division of M&T Bank name or logo on account documentation and account-related materials, including but not limited to disclosures, agreements, debit cards and branch/ATM receipts
- Account documentation, account-related documents, including debit card and branch/ATM receipts, and other materials may continue to reflect the People’s United Bank, N.A. name or logo or the People’s United Bank, a division of M&T Bank branding until integration of our systems is finalized in early 2022
What M&T products and services will I now be able to access?
We’ve been working hard to see which M&T accounts and services match your current People’s United accounts. In some cases, we may map your product or service to the M&T option that most closely matches what you already have. This process does take some time, and we will be providing you more detailed account information in the coming months.
How can I get acquainted with and learn how to use M&T’s products and services that are new to me?
Our team will be sending a comprehensive catalog with important product and service changes in the coming months.
If your name, address, email or phone number has changed, please update it so you’ll receive any account information as soon as it’s sent to you. To update your information, contact your relationship manager or call 1-800-894-0300.
What is being done to ensure a smooth transition to M&T?
We're committed to keeping you informed about how this transition may affect your banking relationship and your accounts. As part of that commitment, we have developed a dedicated web page (mtb.com/peoples) which will not only have copies of the communications you receive but will provide you with the most up-to-date information of where you are in the process.
Our goal is to provide you with clear and transparent communication, so that you will know what to expect between now and the time your accounts move to the M&T Bank systems.
How will I learn about updates to my accounts and services?
We’ll let you know about any changes to accounts or services well in advance.
- Watch for the M&T green in your mail and email, which indicates merger updates for you
- Bookmark this page and check back for the latest updates
I have a loan with People's United – what should I know right now?
- Right now, continue to make your loan payments as you currently do. Your statements and other communications will have the People’s United name until they’re updated with the M&T Bank name
- Your payment address may also change, but this won’t be until early 2022, and we’ll let you know well in advance
What if I have loans with both banks?
In the short term, you will continue to receive loan statements and other communications referencing the “People’s United” name, but over time these communications will reflect the “M&T Bank” name. Please continue to make your loan payments as you have in the past. In the future should payment instructions change – such as the payment mailing address – we’ll keep you informed in a separate mailing.
Will there be changes to my Merchant Services account?
Please continue to use your Merchant Services account as you normally would.
Where should People's United Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) borrowers go to learn about the PPP loan forgiveness application process?
People's United PPP Borrowers should continue to apply for loan forgiveness through the People's United portal.
Learn more at the People's United Loan Forgiveness Portal.
Where can I find information on the LIBOR to SOFR transition?
For more information on the LIBOR transition, visit mtb.com/libortransition.
Where is M&T located?
We serve customers in Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia. Our headquarters are located in Buffalo, NY. Our New England regional headquarters will be in the current People’s United location in Bridgeport, CT.